Paralegal Classes | Resources for Students
Canadian Legal System
Introduction to Law in Canada: The Canadian Legal System
Ways of Categorizing the Law
Courses at ACA categorized by substantive/procedural and common law/statute based law
The Rule of Law and Failed States
- The Failed State Index lists countries in order of how dysfunctional they are as state entities.
- Not yet a failed state, but questions of purchasing legislation came up in class, and it certainly would be a sign of a state in danger, so is it possible?
- In the USA: Yes…
Ontario Human Rights
- The Code
- The Commission (OHRC)
- OHRC Policies and Guidelines
- E-Learning, including Human Rights 101
- The Legal Support Centre (OHLSC)
- The Tribunal (HRTO)
Balancing Conflicting Human Rights
- Lancaster House on the Christian Horizons Case
- Ontario Human Rights Commission v. Christian Horizons, 2010 ONSC 2105 (CanLII), <http://canlii.ca/t/29sf6> retrieved on 2014-08-07
- Canadian Diversity magazine, issue on Balancing Competing Human Rights
- OHRC Policy on Competing Human Rights
Charter Research Resources
- CANLII: Search … go to the Constitution Act 1982 and find your section. If you click on the section number it will show you how many cases have cited that section and you can view the cases from there.
- The Charter at 30
- The Charter at 20 (takes a moment to load)
- Archives: Rights and Freedoms (check also the politics section)
- Fundamental Freedoms documentary: supporting materials.
- Canadian Heritage (government website): Guide to the Charter
- Wikipedia — a good launching point to find cases and other sources — The Canadian Constitution
- Corporations and the Charter — when do corporations have the same rights as people? An American View
Canadian Judicial Council
The Canadian Judicial Council regulates the judiciary and investigates complaints against judges.
- Justice Cosgrove:
- Justice Dewar:
- Justice Douglas: