Paralegal Classes | Resources for Students
Canadian Legal System
Introduction to Law in Canada: The Canadian Legal System
Ways of Categorizing the Law
Courses at ACA categorized by substantive/procedural and common law/statute based law
The Rule of Law and Failed States
- The Failed State Index lists countries in order of how dysfunctional they are as state entities.
- Not yet a failed state, but questions of purchasing legislation came up in class, and it certainly would be a sign of a state in danger, so is it possible?
- In the USA: Yes…
Ontario Human Rights
- The Code
- The Commission (OHRC)
- The Legal Support Centre (OHLSC)
- The Tribunal (HRTO)
Balancing Conflicting Human Rights
Charter Research Resources
- CANLII: Canadian Charter of Rights Decisions Digest (last updated 2005)
- CANLII: Search … go to the Constitution Act 1982 and find your section. If you click on the section number it will show you how many cases have cited that section and you can view the cases from there.
- Fundamental Freedoms documentary: supporting materials.
- Canadian Heritage (government website): Guide to the Charter
- Wikipedia — a good launching point to find cases and other sources — The Canadian Constitution
- Corporations and the Charter — when do corporations have the same rights as people? An American View
The Canadian Judicial Council regulates the judiciary and investigates complaints against judges.